Thursday, November 10, 2011

The "U.XVI" Is Loose!

There was suddenly great excitement this night. We were tired and fast asleep after all the diving exercises and other preparations for action. Not even the roaring and raging of the sea could bother us. For several days now, a horrible "Sirokko" (storm) was blowing, but still, we slept the sleep of the righteous.

Suddenly, the Torpedo Master stormed in with the words, "Get up and out right away! The Sixteener( U.XVI) broke loose!" No time for rubbing our eyes. We hurried to our boat which was docked next to the loose one, so we had the best chance to help. But the Sixteener was drifting away. During the heavy storm, the rigging broke loose and since there was only one man on duty during the night, he was very much helpless and it took a while until the guard at the station could hear him.

The boat already drifted 40-50 meters toward the entrance to the station. They launched some rowboats but all for nothing. The first crashed on the sea wall and the second capsized before it was manned. Fast action was needed in order to prevent the boat from hitting the barricades.

"Someone will have to swim and take out the castline." called the Commander, "Who wants to volunteer?"

I was the closest. To tie the line around me and jump into the water was one thing, but fighting against the waves was quite another. At one time it seemed like I could not get back to the surface. The line was heavy and kept pulling me back. There were three lengths tied together because one was not long enough. My eyes burned indescribably because of the salt water and I had to swallow quite a few mouthfuls. The Sixteener appeared to drift further away. Suddenly I was startled by a strike to my head. The man on the drifting boat had thrown me a line which I hastily grabbed. Now I made progress. I was soon onboard and together we tied the line.

Within a half hour the U.XVI was back were it belonged, securely tied down. For me, this incident was a fitness test whereby I proved that I was able to do the job. From now on, I was looked upon as an equal. I was told to report and as a reward, all my previous penalties were erased.

Note: Franz was being modest. For saving the U.XVI and the life of the stranded crewman, he was awarded the Bronze "Tapferkeit" medal for bravery at the risk of his own life.

No comments: